Students who, during the June 2020 examination period would have taken one or more Regents examinations, will be exempted from passing the assessments in order to be issued a diploma. To qualify for the exemption, students must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- The student is currently enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents examination and will have earned credit in such course of study by the end of the 2019-20 school year; or
- The student is in grade 7, is enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents examination and will have passed such course of study by the end of the 2019-20 school year; or
- The student is currently enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents examination and has failed to earn credit by the end of the school year. Such student returns for summer instruction to make up the failed course and earn the course credit and is subsequently granted diploma credit in August 2020; or
- The student was previously enrolled in the course of study leading to an applicable Regents examination, has achieved course credit, and has not yet passed the associated Regents examination but intended to take the test in June 2020 to achieve a passing score.
In other words:
- If you pass a current class with a required Regents exam at the end, you are exempt from the exam requirement for that class.
- If you do not pass a current class with a required Regents exam at the end, you must pass the class in summer 2020 to be exempt from the exam requirement for that class
- If you previously passed a class with a required Regents exam at the end, but did not pass the exam, you will be exempt from the exam requirement for that class if you intended to take the exam again in June 2020.
What does “intended to take the exam” look like? According to the FAQ document NYSED also released:
Schools can apply the “intended to take a Regents Examination” eligibility requirement under one of the following circumstances:
- the student informed the school that s/he wished to retake the examination; or
- the student was receiving academic intervention, supplemental instruction or
tutoring of some kind in preparation to take the examination; or
- the student took the examination in June 2019, August 2019, or January 2020 in
an attempt to pass or better his/her score.
If you previously failed a required state Regents exam (but passed the class), and had already this year told your counselor you were planning to retake the test, or were in AIS to retake it, or had taken the exam in June 2019, August 2019, or January 2020, then you are exempt from the exam requirement.
If you have further questions about what this news might mean for you, reach out to your counselor. They are there to help!
On Monday, April 6th, NYS Governor Andrew Cuomo directed that the current closure of schools and non-essential businesses will extend until Wednesday, April 29.
In Ithaca, working groups of teachers and staff from across the district are finalizing their recommendations for the ICSD Distance Learning 2.0 plan, which is expected to roll out on Monday, April 13.
- Official Coronavirus pages
- Other ICSD Links
- Tools for Learning at Home
- Other Local Links