We’ve moved on to the next phase of the rational expressions unit: Complex Fractions. Don’t be intimidated by their name! These are expressions that involve “nested fractions,” meaning the numerator and denominator of the expression are both fractions (or a sum/difference of fractions) themselves.
Remember the basic process for simplifying these beastly expressions:
- Combine fractions in the numerator (finding a lowest common denominator and so on) so you have one single rational expression
- Combine fractions in the denominator (LCD, etc.)
- Keep the top fraction, flip the bottom fraction, and change the operation to multiplication (KFC)
- Introducing Complex Fractions Notes
- HW 2.13 – Simplifying Complex Fractions